Sunday, November 13, 2011

Spaghetti Sauce

So it's Sunday night. I really should be reading some of my homework because I am a few chapters behind, but I really don't feel like doing it. Instead I'm sitting here watching a movie with the family and also reading my current book "Creating Healthy Children". Buffalo Chicken Pizza is in the oven and then pretty soon it'll be time to get the kids ready for bed. I will force myself to finish reading one chapter for school tonight, just not yet!

So yesterday Jessica and Justin came over and we made Spaghetti Sauce. This was the first time we've done this so we didn't know exactly what to expect. We started off pulling 36 pounds of tomatoes out of the freezer and purchasing 6 packs of Mrs. Wages Pasta Sauce packs. I also asked a co-worker if she had any advice and she said to just throw in a little "extra" stuff with the packets, so I put in 1.5 pounds of green peppers (from the garden, in the freezer) a large onion that I had and also about 3 garlic gloves that I had. It should have gotten us approximately 30 pints of Spaghetti Sauce, but we only got the equivalent of 19 pints (7 quarts, and 5 pints), it would have been nice if it would have yielded more but not much we can do about it. We did take a little taste and I thought it tasted great so hopefully it'll taste even better after it sits in the cans for awhile. I still have 15 more pounds of tomatoes in the freezer so we'll have to come up with a project for those, either more spaghetti sauce or a different type of salsa maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment